– Contributed by Big L
Oh, HI. This is my welcome back post. Or, it possibly is. After six hot and heavy months of writing at Stratejoy, I was planning on taking a self-imposed blogging break until at least September. But alas, I loved Wee C’s post last week and now I wanna write one!
So I’m taking a break from my break to give you this:
5 Things That Are Stirring My Soul, Lately
1. Wedding* planning – I’ve organized a number of events over the last several years and in doing so, have discovered that event planning fills me with fury. Thankfully, I’ve been able to hold the event-fury at bay this time around, mostly because every aspect of our wedding is “do-it-yourself” (meaning we’re in control!) and it’s playful and creative to the max. We’re being real. Which also translates into me having a hella-good time! I get to be super crafty and experience the satisfaction of putting a big vision into practice. I’m starting to see it really come together and basically, it’s going to knock everyone’s socks off!
2. Creative writing – A big chunk of my time lately has been spent on a creative storytelling project that is really quite special. I get to interview about 25 people who were involved in building a completely ground-breaking, year-round, $8 million facility that will host residential camps for children with chronic illness. It will literally be a game changer for families in our region and I get to take people’s spoken words and have complete creative control over how to turn them into written words that will move and inspire a broad audience. My writer’s soul is guiding the way. It’s a beautiful thing.
3. Blender experiments – I love smoothies and I love when I have ingredients kicking around that allow me to put a bunch of things together and see what happens! I concocted something delicious recently and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it a few times over.
Try this: 1/2 cup pineapple tidbits in their juice; a tablespoon of greek yogurt (optional); 3/4 – 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk; a heaping tablespoon of peanut butter; 3/4 – 1 cup frozen mango chunks; generous sprinkle of cinnamon. Blend it all up until smooth, and voila!
4. Life list – I’ve been toying with the idea of creating a list of the things I’d love to experience. There would be no timeline and no consequences if they’re not all tackled, but there would be a heck of a lot of joy and satisfaction as each item that was accomplished. At first I thought, “I haven’t a sweet clue what I’d even put on such a list!” but then once I sat down and thought about it, all kinds of fun and interesting things came to mind! It’s been a motivating and insightful little exercise – you should try it!
5. Brainstorming with myself – Oh, you should see the pages of my notebook! I’ve been jotting words all over the place – big, messy, scrawled words, outside the lines, with arrows between them, and underlines, and question marks. Why? Because I’m digging into some visions I have. Visions for sharing and inspiring folks like you in a more conscious, organized way. Visions for selling stuff, be it a book, a series of journals, ‘get real’ note cards, or crafty type things. Visions for building a personal brand, not in a formulaic and sales-pitchy way, just in a find-your-voice-and-share-your-distinctness way. Stay tuned, there may be follow ups related to this one!
I could keep the list going, I’m sure, but I’ll focus on celebrating these five things for now. What’s worthy of celebration in your world lately? Maybe today’s the day you should take a moment to reflect on how much you looooove it.
[Photo credit: That fancy photo up there is my Dad’s. Love it!]
*As an aside, can we talk about how in less than three months, the big day will be here? I’m filled with anticipation, nervous about what’s left on the to do list, anxious about the money that’s left to spend, but mostly really excited to put those rings on and smooch!