– Contributed by Big L
In this post, #2 of 7 about being gracefully unique and honouring my values, I’m thinking about how to be authentic.
Authenticity – that feeling of being YOU and bringing the good, the bad, the ugly and the wonderful to the table – is one of the biggest, most important in achieving my goal of having a gracefully unique year.
This clip is an awesome interpretation of how to feel uniquely YOU in any given moment. (As an aside, Garden State is one of my favourite movies – and movie soundtracks – of all time. If you haven’t seen it, you should.)
I may not always make quirky moves and sounds in the run of a day (although sometimes I do!). But in order to feel alive, fulfilled and authentically ME, I want to honour my truths, needs and preferences as much as I can. I want to do things that make me feel GOOOOD, like:
- Practice yoga
- Avoid dairy
- Avoid sugar
- Avoid pop and too much caffeine
- Dress the way I want to and have fun with clothes
- Stretch and shake – get that blood flowing!
- Drinks loads of water
- Avoid meetings before 9 a.m.
- Avoid answering emails on weekends
- Spend time with my Mom, Dad and Hunny
- Have girl talk with my favourite girls
- Send an email or letter to my favourite far-away girls
- Express anger and let it out, rather than bottle it up
- Go for a walk in the sun
- Sit outside, preferably downtown somewhere
- Push back on a demand or deadline that doesn’t work for me
- Let something go
- Be honest with someone
- Ask questions
- Do one less thing today than planned
- Say no to shackles and opt for soul stirring
- Sit in silence for a while
- Write a love letter, even if I don’t send it
- Share positivity with someone
- Cook something delicious and healthy
- Hug and kiss
- Learn something
- Go somewhere new
- Brainstorm…even if its with myself
What do you think? Is this a good list? What else should I add? What are things you do to feel unique and honour your truths? Help a sista out!